I am a researcher with a focus on health impact assessment, integrated care, and health equity. I’m an Associate Professor in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of New South Wales, Sydney.
Health Impact Assessment
Health Impact Assessment identifies the potential health impacts of policies, programs and projects before they’re implemented. It leads to evidence-informed recommendations to improve decision-making and practice. My experience includes:
- conducting and supporting more than 40 HIAs and integrated assessments
- training more than 1,000 people in HIA
- publishing more than 30 journal articles, book chapters, and reports on HIA.
Integrated care involves delivering a more integrated continuum of health and social care, in particular between primary health care, hospitals, and services in the community. My research on integrated care looks at:
- integrated care strategies
- analysis of routinely collected administrative data to inform integration
- interventions to enhance shared care in primary health care
- strengthening the role of people and their carers in self-care and the care they receive.
Health equity is about reducing avoidable and unfair health differences between groups of people. My research on health equity focuses on:
- intervening to address health inequities, as opposed to just describing them
- equity focused planning and decision-support tools
- understanding and meeting the needs of groups who experience inequalities, such as carers and culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- community- and place-based approaches to enhance health.