I am a researcher with a focus on integrated care, health equity, and health impact assessment. I’m a Senior Lecturer in the Faculty of Medicine & Health at the University of New South Wales, Sydney.
Integrated care involves delivering a more integrated continuum of health and social care, in particular between primary health care, hospitals, and services in the community. My research on integrated care looks at:
- integrated care strategies
- analysis of routinely collected administrative data to inform integration
- interventions to enhance shared care in primary health care
- strengthening the role of people and their carers in self-care and the care they receive.
Health equity is about reducing avoidable and unfair health differences between groups of people. My research on health equity focuses on:
- intervening to address health inequities, as opposed to just describing them
- equity focused planning and decision-support tools
- understanding and meeting the needs of groups who experience inequalities, such as carers and culturally and linguistically diverse communities
- community- and place-based approaches to enhance health.
Health Impact Assessment
Health Impact Assessment identifies the potential health impacts of policies, programs, and projects before they’re implemented. It leads to evidence-informed recommendations to improve decision-making and practice. My experience includes:
- conducting and supporting more than 40 HIAs and integrated assessments
- training more than 1,000 people in HIA
- publishing more than 30 journal articles, book chapters, and reports on HIA.